|Panagal Maligai aka Panagal Building @ Jeenis Road, Saidapet|
'Panagal Maaligai' aka 'Panagal Building,' located No.1, Jeenis Road, Saidapet, Chennai- 600 015, an important landmark in Colonial Madras, houses the offices of the Department of Forest, Government of Tamil Nadu. The offices include the Principal Chief Conservator of Forests (PCCF), Chief Wildlife Warden, five Additional Principal Chief Conservators of Forests and eight Chief Conservator of Forests. This imposing heritage structure stands on the banks of Adyar river.
The multi-storeyed skyscraper building was constructed upon the site of the erstwhile Revenue Office building. The Revenue Office building itself was named as 'Panagal Maligai' aka 'Panagal Building' and was named after the Raja of Panagal.
|Raja of Panagal|
Saidapettai, a residential neighbourhood of Chennai, got its name from Sayyid Shah (Sayyid Musalman Sahib) an important court officer in the court of Nawab of Arcot. In 1730 Sayyid Shah obtained some parts of land of present Saidapettai (including Kotturpuram and Nandanam) from Nawab of Arcot as a gift. Later this town was taken over by British East India Company when Chinglepet Jaghir was formed. During 1945 - 46 this suburban locality was merged with Madras corporation.